Neighbourhood Watch and Neighbourhood Support exists to look out for communities across Australia and New Zealand and it’s during times like this we encourage you to consider ways to keep yourself, families and those in your community safe, especially the vulnerable and isolated. We are following the up to date advice from the government and encourage you to do the same:
For Federal Government advice, go to:
For your state/territory go to:
You can also use its COVID-19 Restriction Checker to find out what you can and can’t do in your state or territory
COVID-19 support for people with disability
COVID-19 vaccine information in your language
Here are some ways you, can protect yourself, your family and your community:
- Discuss with family, friends and neighbours what to do if a COVID-19 outbreak occurs in your community and what support and advice is available.
- Practise social distancing by keeping 1.5 metres away from others, avoid physical greetings such as handshaking, hugs and kisses and stay at home unless is absolutely necessary
- If your Neighbourhood Watch or Neighbourhood Support has a website or social media page, consider joining it to maintain access to neighbours, information, and resources.
- Share phone numbers with your neighbours to ensure everyone can receive support, such as services and essential deliveries especially those who are vulnerable and isolated.
- Make a plan on how best to care for family and neighbours that are at a greater risk of contracting COVID-19 and managing the isolation of the sick from the healthy members.
- Learn how to self-isolate. Information can be found on the Australian Government website: https://www.health.gov.au/news/health-alerts/novel-coronavirus-2019-ncov-health-alert/how-to-protect-yourself-and-others-from-coronavirus-covid-19/self-isolation-self-quarantine-for-coronavirus-covid-19
- Create a list of local services and organisations including organisations that provide medical, mental health or counselling services, food and medical supplies.
- Practice good hygiene. Information can be found on the Australian Government website: https://www.health.gov.au/news/health-alerts/novel-coronavirus-2019-ncov-health-alert/how-to-protect-yourself-and-others-from-coronavirus-covid-19/good-hygiene-for-coronavirus-covid-19
- If you are concerned call the National Coronavirus Helpline on 1800 020 080 for information and advice about COVID-19. The line operates 24 hours a day, seven days a week. If you require translating or interpreting services, call 131 450.
- Please click on the link below to find answers to common questions or view a list of COVID-19 contacts. https://www.health.gov.au/news/health-alerts/novel-coronavirus-2019-ncov-health-alert/coronavirus-covid-19-enquiries